Friday, September 17, 2010

Can I upgrade my 1999-2000 mac G3 to OS X?


Can I upgrade my 1999-2000 mac G3 to OS X?

Technically yes, the G3 is the oldest platform that OS X supports. However, beside the later version of OS X, your G3 will slow down noticeably. Perhaps try and catch an original copy of OS X.. that'd be a smoother process.
I doubt it, but call Apple and ask them.
I'm Pretty Sure You Can But To Make Sure, Call Apple At 1-800-MY-APPLE. I'm Pretty Sure All That You Have To Do Is Buy The Upgrade Disc. (I'm Doing That For Tiger To Leopard)
Probably. You would obligation to make sure you hold at least 500 mb of bump, anything less than that and you would run into problems. You requirement to make sure you hold adequate thorny drive space. You might have to reformat your computer sturdy drive also. I'd get an untimely version of MacOs X, somewhere around 10.2. You can pick up copies on ebay . I have MacOs X running on a 1999 G4 tower with no problems.
Technically, yes (see URL below). You could walk all the opening to Tiger (10.4).



The more appropriate question is, should you? For that I believe the answer is no. IMHO, G3's are lately not able to touch the bloat of OS X. You'll probably fill up what little disk space you enjoy (it needs 3+ GB), it will run much slower compared to OS 9, and constantly find yourself running low on memory. Sure, you could max out the memory, but the elder memory is going to be more expensive and harder to buy, plus the cost might be a good chunk of the track towards a new Mac Mini. I love my outmoded Macs too (I have working models from 1990), but after 7-8 yrs it is time to vote goodbye. :)

furnished rental house

No comments:

Post a Comment