Friday, September 17, 2010

Can i copy my xp install?

I enjoy a problem with my hardrive. Everytime i use my computer for over an hour it starts to label a weird clicking crack. I've looked on the net and it seem my hardrive is begining to fail.

My give somebody the third degree is, if i get a investigational hardrive and copy my old one to it next to norton ghost or something similar, will my xp install copy over aswell?

My xp install is on the hardrive, i be given no xp disks when i bought the computer.



Thanks :)

Can i copy my xp install?

If you use Ghost or some similar product, then it will engineer a complete copy of the hard drive.



This will not brand name it installable, but just a sector by sector copy.
Yes, you should be capable of ghost the unyielding drive to a new drive, stop using the weak drive until you are ready for the migration though.



You may want to embezzle it out of the tower, place it in a closure lock bag, and place it within the freezer. This will prolong the failure.
I totally agree next to JMKyler3. The only entry I would do add is to craft sue to remove as much air out of the fastener lock and to double-bag the drive.
I would use Acronis True Image and copy everything on to a new unyielding drive. If this is the only progress to your system it may be permitted under Windows solid advantage. You will hold to check the end user agreement.



PS you don't entail to freeze the HD, or install as a slave if it has not already spoilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment